USGS Abandoned Mine Lands Intiative (AMLI)
Note: Some documents on this website are PDF files.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view them. Download free Adobe Acrobat
Reader to view PDF files at the Adobe web site. Or go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html for tools that allow visually impaired users to read PDF files.
- Buxton, H.T., Nimick, D.A., von Guerard, P., Church, S.E., Frazier,
A.G., Gray, J.R., Lipin, B.R., March, S.P., Woodward, D.F., Kimball,
B.A., Finger, S.E., Ischinger, L.S., Fordham, J.C., Power, M.S., Bunck,
C.M., and Jones, J.W., 1997, A Science-based,
Watershed Strategy to Support Effective Remediation of Abandoned Mine
Lands: Fourth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD)
May 30-June 6, 1997, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Kimball, B.A., Bencala, K.E., and Besser, J.M., 1999, Synthesis of Watershed Characterization for Making Remediation Decisions:
U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 99-4018A,
- Kimball, B.A., Church, S.E., and Besser, J.M., 2006, Lessons Learned from the U.S. Geological Survey Abandoned Mine Lands Initiative — 1997-2002, in Barnheisel, R.I., ed., Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD, St. Louis, MO, p.944-962. [PDF file, 392 KB]
- Nimick, D.A., and von Guerard, P., 1998, Science
for Watershed Decisions on Abandoned Mine Lands: Review of Preliminary
Results, Denver, Colorado, February 4-5, 1998: U.S. Geological
Survey Open-File Report 98-0297.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 1999, The
USGS Abandoned Mine Lands Initiative, Protecting and Restoring the
Environment Near Abandoned Mine Lands: U.S. Geological Survey
Fact Sheet 095-99.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2000, Interim report on the scientific investigations in the Animas River watershed,
Colorado to facilitate remediation decisions by the U.S. Bureau of
Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service, March 29, 2000 Meeting,
Denver, Colo.: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 00-0245, 36 p.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 1999, Abandoned Mine Lands Initiative—Providing Science for Watershed Issues: Abstract.
- Church, S.E., Causey, J.D., and Sole, T.C. Use of regional data to assess the impact of historic mining and abandoned mines on water quality in the western U.S.: Abstract.
- Church, S.E., 1996, A watershed-scale
approach to tracing metal contamination in the environment:
Canadian Network of Toxicology Centres (CNTC), Metals in the Environment
Workshop Report, Far Hills Inn, Val Morin, Quebec, October 21-22,
- Larison, J.R., Likens, G.E., Fitzpatrick, J.W., and Crock, J.G.,
2000, Cadmium toxicity among wildlife in the Colorado Rocky Mountains:
Nature, v. 406, p. 181-183.
- Robbins, E.I., 1999, Microbial
and Spectral Reflectance Techniques to Distinguish Neutral and Acidic
Drainage: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 0118-99.
AMLI Home Page