- Buxton, H.T., Nimick, D.A., von Guerard, P., Church, S.E., Frazier, A.G., Gray, J.R., Lipin, B.R., March, S.P., Woodward, D.F., Kimball, B.A., Finger, S.E., Ischinger, L.S., Fordham, J.C., Power, M.S., Bunck, C.M., and Jones, J.W., 1997, A Science-based, Watershed Strategy to Support Effective Remediation of Abandoned Mine Lands: Fourth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD) May 30-June 6, 1997, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Kimball, B.A., Bencala, K.E., and Besser, J.M., 1999, Synthesis of Watershed Characterization for Making Remediation Decisions: U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 99-4018A, p. 3-7.
- Kimball, B.A., Church, S.E., and Besser, J.M., 2006, Lessons Learned from the U.S. Geological Survey Abandoned Mine Lands Initiative — 1997-2002, in Barnheisel, R.I., ed., Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD, St. Louis, MO, p.944-962. [PDF file, 392 KB]
- Nimick, D.A., and von Guerard, P., 1998, Science for Watershed Decisions on Abandoned Mine Lands: Review of Preliminary Results, Denver, Colorado, February 4-5, 1998: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 98-0297.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 1999, The USGS Abandoned Mine Lands Initiative, Protecting and Restoring the Environment Near Abandoned Mine Lands: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 095-99.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2000, Interim report on the scientific investigations in the Animas River watershed, Colorado to facilitate remediation decisions by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service, March 29, 2000 Meeting, Denver, Colo.: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 00-0245, 36 p.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 1999, Abandoned Mine Lands Initiative—Providing Science for Watershed Issues: Abstract.
- Church, S.E., Causey, J.D., and Sole, T.C., 1998, Use of regional data to assess the impact of historic mining and abandoned mines on water quality in the western U.S.: Abstract.